Managing land clearing projects properly requires having the best heavy equipment to streamline the process, effectively and safely. Deciding what heavy machinery you need depends on the purpose of clearing a piece of land as well as the scale of the job. Aspects such as the gradient and size of the area and type of plantation that needs to be removed also determine what kind of equipment you’ll need. Once you’ve identified these factors, you can look for heavy machinery such as an excavator for sale to clear the land.
Read on to find out which equipment works best for clearing land as well as features to look out for, so you get the best gear for your project and ensure you get value for money.
5 Best Heavy Equipment for Land Clearing Projects
Excavators, mini-excavators or diggers are some of the best types of heavy machinery for clearing land. They come in a number of configurations and you can pick a design that’s best suited for the nature of the job. For example:
- Mini-excavators work well for compact and larger spaces and have superior digging force and lifting performance.
- Zero tail swing excavators offer 360° manoeuvrability and versatility, making them ideal for clearing land in urban settings.
- Conditional swing excavators offer high torque performance and can be used for both digging and lifting jobs.
Look out for features such as travel negative brake locks to keep the machinery stable when parked on slopes or a canopy for all-weather protection.
2. Skid Steers
Skid steer loaders make light work of tasks such as picking up and transferring soil or uprooted plantation, rocks and other debris. Various attachments can be added to this machinery, making them highly versatile pieces of equipment. Attachments could include:
- Wood chippers
When looking for a skid steer for sale look out for features such as high hinge pin heights for easy loading into trucks. Skid steer loaders are ideal for compact spaces.
Commonly used in land clearing projects, bulldozers have a scoop in the front to dig, push or level out the earth. This type of heavy machinery can operate on slopes safely even when removing debris.
Bulldozers come in different sizes with the mini option being most suitable for working in tight spots. By attaching different blades to the front of the machine, bulldozers can be used to scrape and level the ground. Bulldozers are also used for stumping, backfilling and crowning plant material.
Tractors are a popular choice for agricultural purposes but are perfect for land clearing projects as well and are used to:
- Remove rocks and rubble
- Clear out small trees and stumps
- Shift soil and other debris
Different attachments are used for various land clearing jobs such as a front-end loader to remove small trees and other vegetation. These specialised vehicles are powerful, can easily traverse rough terrain and come in a range of designs to suit specific jobs.
Backhoes are similar to excavators but smaller and lighter. They’re more agile and come with a bucket attached to a jointed arm. Backhoes can perform various tasks such as pulling back dirt, loading it and moving it to another spot. This type of heavy machinery is best suited for small to medium-sized land clearing projects.
Backhoes have a limited range of rotation compared to excavators but offer more mobility and can be driven on public roads. This is a big advantage if you’re moving them between different project sites.
Factors to Consider Before Choosing Heavy Equipment
Before buying heavy equipment for land clearing, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Durability: Depending on the nature of the job being done, your machinery could be tasked with heavy-duty work. While heavy machinery is designed to handle this type of work, you need to watch out for issues such as overheating.
- Horsepower: Check the performance power of your vehicle before deciding which one is best for your land clearing project. If horsepower is inadequate for the task, you could end up with costly repairs.
- Maintenance: Maintaining heavy machinery is vital to keep them in good working order at all times. However, maintenance costs can be high depending on the type of equipment you’re using.
- Fuel efficiency: With the rising cost of fuel affecting many industries, it’s important to ensure your piece of machinery is cost-effective.
Getting the right advice from a reputable equipment supplier ensures you get the best heavy machinery solution.
Having the best heavy equipment in your fleet ensures your land clearing project is done efficiently, safely and timeously. The right machinery makes it easier for your team to perform their work while keeping your reputation in the industry intact.
When buying equipment, make sure you comply with the land clearing regulations of the country. Sticking to good land development with the best heavy machinery helps you to play your part in protecting biodiversity.